Molokai Planning Commission Agenda 8/26/09
MOLOKAI PLANNING COMMISSION
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN OF A REGULAR MEETING OF THE MOLOKAI PLANNING COMMISSION
Members: Joseph Kalipi (Chair), Steven Chaikin (Vice-Chair), Nathaniel Bacon, Lori Buchanan, Napua Leong, Joseph Kalipi, Mikiala Pescaia, John Sprinzel, Teri Waros, Don Williams
DATE: August 26, 2009 (Wednesday ) TIME: 12:00 p.m.
PLACE: Mitchell Pauole Center, Meeting Hall, Kaunakakai, Molokai
A. CALL TO ORDER
B. PUBLIC TESTIMONY ON ANY PLANNING OR LAND USE ISSUE C. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
1. MR. MILTON ARAKAWA, AICP, Director of the DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS requesting review and comments on the proposed Bill for an Ordinance Amending Chapter 18.04 of the Maui County Code, pertaining to Subdivision General Provisions. The proposed bill addresses the issue of consistency. (RFC 2009/0199) (The public hearing was conducted on August
12, 2009. Commissioners: Please bring you documents.)
The Commission may take action on the proposed bill by making its recommendations to the Maui County Council.
1. MR. JEFFREY S. HUNT, AICP, Planning Director, requesting concurrence from the Molokai Planning Commission pursuant to their Special Management Area Rules, as amended, that Special Management Area (SMA) exemptions can be issued for the following:
a. Burrows Dwelling
TMK: 5-7-009: 002
Kamehameha V Highway across Kaluaaha Church
Kaluaaha, Island of Molokai (N. McPherson)
Requesting concurrence with the recommendation for exemption from the SMA Rules for construction of a 641 square foot 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom single-family dwelling and individual wastewater system on a 10,019 square foot kuleana parcel (L.C. Aw. 3750.3). Valuation: $40,000
The e Commission may take action on this request.
E. CHAIRPERSON’S REPORT
1. Improvements to the Planning Commission’s and Planning Department’s service to the community.
2. Molokai SMA maps and Molokai zoning maps.
F. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
1. Pending Molokai Applications
2. Closed Molokai Applications
3. Cancelling or Rescheduling of the September 23, 2009 meeting due to the
Hawaii Congress of Planning Officials (HCPO) Conference (September 23-
25, 2009). The Commission may take action to either cancel or reschedule the September 23 meeting to another date.
4. Scheduling of Agenda Items for the September 9, 2009 meeting
a. Public Hearing on the Kawela Bridge Replacement Special
Management Area Use Permit (N. McPherson)
b. Steve Morgan Appeal on the SMA Exemption concurrence on the
Zappacosta Farm Dwelling and related improvements at TMK: 5-1-
008: 049, Kaluakoi, Island of Molokai. (SM5 2009/0143) (APPL
5. Public Hearing Items for the October 14 Meeting
a. MR. JEFFREY S. HUNT, AICP, Planning Director transmitting Council Resolution No. 09-53 referring to the Lanai, Maui, and Molokai Planning Commissions and the Hana Advisory Committee a Draft Bill Pertaining to Rural Districts. The bill creates RU-2, RU-5, and RU-10 districts. (RFC 2009/0206) (J. Alueta)
b. MR. JEFFREY S. HUNT, AICP, Planning Director transmitting Council Resolution No. 09-60 containing:
1) A draft bill entitled “ A BILL FOR AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTER 19.08 MAUI COUNTY CODE, RELATING TO RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS”.
The purpose of the draft bill is to permit affordable accessory dwelling units on lots of 6,000 square feet or more in residential districts.
2) A draft bill entitled “A BILL FOR AND ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTER 19.35 RELATING TO ACCESSORY DWELLINGS.”
The purposes of the draft bill are to: (1) permit affordable accessory dwelling units on lots of 6,000-7,499 square feet; (ii) increase the maximum gross square footage of accessory dwelling units; and (iii) require that accessory dwelling units built on lots of 6,000-7,499 square feet remain affordable.” (RFC 2009/02 ) (J. Alueta)
G. NEXT REGULAR MEETING DATE: September 9, 2009 (Wednesday) H. ADJOURNMENT
• Agenda items are subject to cancellation
• Maximum time limits on individual testimony may be established by the commission.
• Each applicant is requested to provide responsible representation at the meeting.
• Documents are on file with the Molokai and Maui Department of Planning offices.
• Public testimony will be taken at the start of the meeting on any agenda item in order to accommodate those individuals who cannot be present at the meeting when the agenda item(s) is (are) considered by the Molokai Planning Commission. Public testimony will also be taken when the agenda item is taken up by the commission.
• Oral, written, e-mailed, or faxed testimony will be received on any agenda item subject to the provisions of chapter 92, Hawaii Revised Statutes, and the Molokai Planning Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure. Written, e-mailed, or faxed testimony should be submitted at least two business days prior to the meeting to ensure distribution to the commission. If written testimony is presented within two days of the meeting, fifteen (15) copies are needed to ensure distribution at the meeting to the commissioners.
• Those persons requesting special accommodations due to disabilities, please call the Maui Department of Planning at least two (2) business days before the scheduled meeting.
• Testifiers: Please be advised that applications for Community Plan Amendment, State District Boundary Reclassification, Change in Zoning, and Conditional Permit require the approval of the Maui County Council. In order to be notified of future agendas of the Maui County Council please notify the Office of Council Services at (808) 270-7838 or by mail to the Maui County Council,
200 S. High Street, Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii 96793.
• Commission members: If you are unable to attend the scheduled meeting, please contact the Department of Planning at least two days prior to the meeting date.
• Mahalo for your cooperation.
Molokai Planning Commission Contact Information:
Molokai Planning Commission Molokai Planning Commission
P. O. Box 526 c/o Maui Department of Planning
Kaunakakai, HI 96748 250 S. High Street (tel) 808 553-3221
Wailuku, HI 96793 (tel) 808 270-7735
(fax) 808 270-7634
email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
web site: www.co.maui.hi.us/boards/bdetail.php
The Molokai Planning Commission’s office is located in the Mitchell Pauole Center and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday except holidays.
Don't have a Molokai Dispatch ID?
Sign up is easy. Sign up now
You must login to post a comment.