Hawaii Energy News Release
Hawaii Energy, the state’s Public Benefits Fund administrator that focuses on energy-efficiency education and clean-energy initiatives, has launched new rebates for residents looking to lower their energy bills by investing in energy-efficient equipment and installations. Almost all of the rebates have been increased from the previous year, in an effort to keep up with the rising costs of goods. The rebates are available from now until June 30, 2023, or while funds are available.
“We’re announcing our new rebates at a pivotal time when so many in our community are actively looking for new ways to lower their electricity bills as they experience the impacts of increasing fuel and energy costs,” said Caroline Carl, executive director at Hawaii Energy. “We encourage residents to take advantage of these rebates especially as we enter into the hot summer months when energy usage tends to increase about 18 percent.”
Hawaii Energy’s rebates can help Hawaii’s residents with up-front costs to invest in energy-efficient equipment and installations. New rebates include:
- Solar Water Heater – $1,000: Rebate given for installing a new solar water heating system with one of Hawaii Energy’s participating contractors.
- Heat Pump Water Heater – $500: Instant rebate given at the point of purchase from one of Hawaii Energy’s participating retail locations.
- Tune-Up/Maintenance Services – $150 for solar water heater tune-up; $75 for air conditioner tune-up
Annual maintenance is key to extending the longevity of your systems and ensuring maximum efficiency. Receive a rebate off the cost of a tune-up when booking with one of Hawaii Energy’s participating contractors.
- Refrigerator Trade-Up: Earn $200 toward the purchase of a new ENERGY STAR® refrigerator when you trade in an old, working model.
- “Rid-A-Fridge” Recycling – $75: Earn cool cash just for getting rid of an old working [garage] refrigerator or freezer, no purchase necessary. Free haul-away and recycling included.
- Air Conditioners – up to $750: Earn rebates for purchasing ENERGY STAR® or other efficiently-rated air conditioning systems, including:
- Window AC: $25 instant rebate for standard models; $45 instant rebate for dual-inverter
- Mini-Split with variable refrigerator flow (VRF): up to $350 depending on capacity
- Central AC: $750 for replacement system
- Swimming Pool Pumps – $150: Rebate given for the purchase and install of a new, ENERGY STAR® pool pump with a variable frequency drive (VFD).
Rebates are available to residential electric utility ratepayers on Hawaii Island, Lanai, Maui, Molokai and Oahu. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability of funds.
Hawaii Energy also offers several specialized programs exclusively for low-to-medium income communities and/or rural areas, including significantly-subsidized appliance purchasing and the Energy Smart 4 Homes program, which provides in-home installations of smaller, energy-efficient household devices – like advanced power strips, LED light bulbs, and efficient shower heads – to households for free.
For more info, visit Hawaii Energy’s website at hawaiienergy.com/rebates.