Community

General news which affects the Molokai community in one way or another.

The Aftermath

Wednesday, August 23rd, 2023

The Aftermath

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor

“Lahaina is love,” said Christina Nakihei. “If Lahaina and Molokai were brother and sister, they would be twins. It’s the exact same way as back home…Everyone is trying to help each other succeed.” 

Nakihei grew up on Molokai and then followed in the footsteps of her father, boarding at Lahainaluna High School. 

The connection between Molokai and Lahaina is evident, everywhere. The two communities have been linked for generations. 

“Lahaina is just like Molokai, it’s like home,” said Marcus Dudoit. “A lot of Molokai guys used to work in Lahaina. My grandfather used to work in the hotel.” …

Fall Outrigger Races Canceled

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor 

The Molokai Hoe, Na Wahine o Ke Kai and Pailolo Challenge outrigger channel races will not run this year. 

“This decision has been made in response to the unfolding federal crisis on Maui, where fires have ravaged the island and left communities grappling with the aftermath,” explained a news release regarding the Molokai Hoe cancelation from the Oahu Hawaiian Canoe Racing Association (OHCRA). 

With residents of West Maui still reeling from deadly and devastating fires, Molokai Hoe and Na Wahine O Ke Kai organizers each hoped to redirect resources and energy towards recuperation efforts on Maui. 

“Given the gravity of the situation and the urgent need to allocate all available Maui County resources to support the Maui community impacted by the fires, OHCRA believes that postponing this year’s Molokai Hoe is not only a responsible course of action, but also a demonstration of unity and solidarity during times of crisis,” explained the OHCRA press release. …

More Clean Energy Techs for Molokai

More Clean Energy Techs for Molokai

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor 

“It was the chance of a lifetime,” said Christina Bethke, one of the 12 Molokai residents who are now qualified to work as clean energy technicians. 

“I lived off the grid my whole life,” explained Bethke who was born and raised on a homestead. “Solar was my passion for decades now.”

Bethke and the other Molokai students just finished a four-month, fully-funded intro to photovoltaic training course put on by the Ho’ahu Energy Cooperative Molokai (HECM). The training was a hybrid of curriculum-based and hands-on learning, explained HECM’s training and workforce developer Liliana Napoleon, M.B.A. 

Napoleon explained that the course was intended to educate both in life skills and job opportunities, allowing graduates to transition from a “typical on-grid lifestyle” to an “energy farming lifestyle.” …

Librarian Award Brings YA Author to Molokai

Community Contributed

By Ric Ornellas 

Molokai High School (MHS) students who’ve read The Honeys by young adult (YA) author Ryan La Sala are thrilled the author is coming to MHS on Aug. 31. Diane Mokuau, MHS Librarian, received the 2021 School Librarian of the Year annual award presented by School Library Journal (SLJ) and sponsored by Scholastic. The pandemic interrupted Mrs. Mokuau’s preferred author’s visit until now. Scholastic’s Credo and Educational Platform inspires students to cultivate their minds to the utmost capacity, become familiar with our cultural heritage, and to strive for excellence in creative expression. Scholastic is a decade’s long book fair supplier to MHS and other Molokai schools.…

Reflections from the Incoming Editor

Reflections from the Incoming Editor

It’s been a year to remember. If you’d asked me a year ago where I would be, I’d have hoped for an opportunity like this, but never expected it. Life comes at you fast. 

In sincere gratitude, my experience so far has only been made possible by the outrageous generosity of the Molokai community. From miso soup at the Guzeiji Soto Mission, to corned beef hash at the Kikukawas, from Wednesday night soccer to Thursdays at the softball fields, my life here has revolved around borrowed cars, rented rooms, and true friends as I slowly got my feet under me. 

I want to say thank you to Catherine Cluett Pactol.…

Growing Old Consciously

To be aware of my own aging process is quite an interesting experience. It happens to everyone, whether we want it to or not. At first glimpse, I tried to ignore it. Then I tried to fight it, but that’s like fighting against gravity mid-fall. 

I’ve learned to see my play of emotions in a different way. I’m on a natural honorable journey here on Molokai. The ego tells me to do the things I used to do as a young person. But I can’t, at least those things have become less satisfactory. So why take that route? Why keep myself in the mind frame of “I can’t?”…

Molokai Community Assists in Maui Fire Aid

Wednesday, August 16th, 2023

Molokai Community Assists in Maui Fire Aid

By Catherine Cluett Pactol, Reporter

Last Tuesday, Aug. 8, fires broke out on Maui that officials now say are the deadliest U.S. wildfire in a century. As of Sunday, deaths had reached nearly 100 and rising, with more than 1000 people still unaccounted for. The entire town of Lahaina was destroyed in a fast-burning fire that left residents running for their lives and jumping into the ocean in attempts to escape the blaze. 

With government assistance lacking and official aid slow to arrive to those hit hardest, the Maui community galvanized to organize food, water, clothing and essential supplies to those who fled with only the clothes on their backs. …

Combating Substance Abuse on Molokai

Combating Substance Abuse on Molokai

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor

“We’re all addicted,” said Carla Ritte-Hanchett, whether it be sugar, our phones, or substances. 

“I used to be known as the Kamoi Queen,” she joked. 

Now Ritte-Hanchett is working with other Molokai residents to educate the community on making healthy lifestyle decisions. Whether those decisions center around food or opioids, for Ritte-Hanchett it all starts with finding a natural path towards wellness. 

Ritte-Hanchett was one of 13 Molokai residents taking part in the Overdose Data to Action (OD2A) workforce development training this year. The program addressed opioid overdose prevention and treatment through a framework of community education. …

Fire Destroys Kaunakakai House

Fire Destroys Kaunakakai House

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor 

Just before noon last Monday, one of the homes at the teachers’ cottages in Kaunakakai erupted in fire. By the time that fire crews were able to put it out, the single-dwelling residence was destroyed and two neighboring homes were also damaged. The teachers living in the homes were not there at the time of the fire. 

Sara Jane Larkin, a teacher at Kilohana Elementary School and the occupant of the house that was fully destroyed by the fire, shared on Facebook that she and her dog were safe. 

“Lola and I are okay,” wrote Larkin. “No clue how it happened but it did.”  …

MHS Fall Sports Outlook

By Maria Angst, Community Reporter 

The school year has begun and sports are back at Molokai High School, with football and volleyball already practicing at full speed this summer. This year will be filled with excitement, as fall sports will be offering sideline cheer, eight-man football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, and boys and girls air riflery this season. 

Kaimana Kahale, a coach from the football team, said he is looking forward to an exciting season even though they have graduated many seniors.

“Though we have lost 18 senior players, we are still thrilled about this team which has brought out new additional athletes,” he said. …