Community

General news which affects the Molokai community in one way or another.

Art and Health Go Hand in Hand at MGH

Wednesday, September 20th, 2023

Art and Health Go Hand in Hand at MGH

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor 

“What do you want the art to say?” asked Dewitt Jones, longtime photographer and Molokai resident. 

He gestured along the walls of Molokai General Hospital, adorned with huge canvases capturing May Days, Makahiki, rodeos: Molokai people and Molokai days gone by. These are just some of the estimated 120 photos decorating the hospital. 

“When the nurses go away, it’s just the walls,” said Jones. “You feel very alone.” 

Jones’ hope is that pictures of local people, places and scenes help those who enter and work at the hospital to feel more at peace. 

“You come to a hospital.…

Badges and Buckets Fundraiser

Badges and Buckets Fundraiser

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor 

Badges and Buckets, the three-day fundraiser for Special Olympics formerly known as Cop on Top, took place outside the Molokai Public Library from Wednesday to Friday last week. Off-duty police officers climbed the 10-foot scaffold over a dunk tank to create excitement around the event. Residents supported local Special Olympics athletes for a shot at dunking an officer. 

As of Friday morning, the fundraiser had reached over $7,000 of its $10,000 goal, according to  Rita Kalahiki, the area director for Special Olympics Molokai. 

Kalahiki has been involved with Special Olympics Molokai since 1989. Now she coordinates events and games for the group.…

Molokai Farmers Football vs Lanai Pine Lads

Molokai Farmers Football vs Lanai Pine Lads

By Maria Angst, Community Reporter 

On Sept. 9, the Molokai Farmers Football Team, with Head Coach Mike Kahale, traveled to Lanai City for a matchup against the Pine Lads. 

The Molokai Farmers improved their record to 2-0 with a 35-6 win over the Pine Lads. Tonka Kalilikane and Keith Gloor-Suafoa each scored two touchdowns with the addition of Kestan Tamanaha also scoring a touchdown reception for the Farmers.  

Kalilikane had scoring runs of 77 and 72 yards while Gloor-Suafoa threw TD passes of 27 and 18 yards. Kobra Cariaga-Abafo, the starting quarterback for the Farmers, delivered the initial touchdown pass before unfortunately succumbing to an ankle injury.…

John K Nakahara

John K Nakahara, 72, of Molokai died Friday, Aug. 18 on Oahu. Molokai High Class of 69’ graduate and an honorable discharge from the US Navy, John was never married and had no children. John is the son of John KK Waipa Sr. (predeceased), Dorothy L Pa (predeceased) and David K Pa III (predeceased). His siblings are Joan P. Yamashiro (predeceased), Maureen Fredrickson, Johnette Kaai, Bill PaGrimes, John Waipa, Thomas Waipa (predeceased), Davelynn Han, Davidette Pa-Kala, George Nakahara, Randy Aurio, Guy Aurio, Mel Aurio, Charlene Nakahara, and Alison Kupau. Memorial services will be held at the Molokai Veterans Cemetery Friday, Sept.…

Molokai on My Mind

It has been a week since I left Molokai, and the two-week residency I attended through Molokai Arts Center. Slowly, I have weaned myself off streaming Hawaiian 105 KINE. I am back to wearing sweaters and jeans and long-sleeved shirts to warm me against the Bay Area’s fog and chill. But as nice as it is to be in the comfort of my own home again, I feel that a part of myself did not leave Molokai.

Growing up, my mother and I spent two weeks of every summer visiting family on Oahu. I am Kanaka Maoli and Chinese, and ever since I was a child, I’ve felt most like myself when going back to the islands.…

You’ll Be There In The Garden

You’ve left your body behind.
You’re gone now.
We cry not.
You’re everywhere,
from the songs we sing,
to the smiles we wear.
You’ll be there
in our actions
as we care so, so much
about nature
and about animals
and about people
and such.
We’ll be seeing you
when we look at humanity
and in every star
in the midnight sky
and in all the bees
and in the butterflies,
and you’ll be there
as the birds fly by
and as children question,
why, why, why…
You’ll be there
in the beauty
and in the fragrance
of the flowers
and in the roots
and in the branches
and the leaves on every tree
and in every deer
and chicken
that’s running by
and every breaching whale
and swimming turtle
and monk seal basking
by the sea.…

What is the Science of Reading and How Does it Help Students?

Community Contributed

By Alestra Menéndez

Molokai teachers, please join us on Monday, Sept. 25 at 3:30 p.m. at the Molokai Education Center for a discussion about the science of reading and how you can leverage it in your classroom. 

Please join us as we dive into the latest educational and neuroscience research on how students learn to read in any alphabetic language, including Hawaiian and English. We will explore how to support all students to build meaningful background knowledge as they develop essential literacy skills. 

In this interactive session, we will explore classroom practices based on science. As a community of learners, we will reflect on how to implement science-based practices at your school to support your students’ learning and growth. …

Author’s Visit Ignites Conversation

Wednesday, September 13th, 2023

Author’s Visit Ignites Conversation

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor 

As the new school year swings into action, award winning author Ryan La Sala visited Molokai High School (MHS). La Sala was welcomed by many; however, his talk also evoked a strong response from some members of the Molokai community, who believed La Sala’s identity as LBGTQ+ and focus on LGBTQ+ stories sent messages to their children that they weren’t comfortable with.  

MHS librarian Diane Mokuau used her 2021 School Librarian of the Year Award, sponsored by Scholastic, to invite La Sala to speak at MHS.

Mokuau believed La Sala’s visit contributed to MHS’s focus on college and career pathways through the newly established academy model.…

MHS Sports Roundup

MHS Sports Roundup

By Maria Angst, Community Reporter 

On Sept. 2, Molokai High School (MHS) Football opened the season with a home game vs. Seabury.

In the first quarter of the game, Seabury took an early lead with a score of 8-0, thanks to Elima Dagan’s impressive 50-yard touchdown run, followed by a successful 2-point conversion. Molokai quickly responded, tying the game at 8-8 with Christian Nip’s 11-yard touchdown run, also followed by a successful 2-point conversion. 

Molokai then took the lead with David Kalilikane’s 10-yard touchdown run, bringing the score to 16-8. Another Molokai touchdown increased the lead to 22-8. 

In the second quarter, Molokai continued their strong performance with Kalilikane scoring two more touchdowns, first with an 8-yard run and then with a 42-yard run, bringing the score to 37-8 in favor of Molokai. …

A’o ‘Aina Professional Development Program

Kupu News Release 

Intermediate and high school educators on Molokai are eligible to apply for a paid professional development opportunity. Kupu, Hawaii’s leading conservation and environmental education nonprofit, recently announced that applications are open for the Aʻo ʻAina Professional Development Program. The deadline to apply is Friday, Sept. 29. Visit www.kupuhawaii.org/aoaina/  to apply. 

In partnership with the Malama Learning Center, this paid professional development opportunity for educators within the Department of Education on Oahu, Molokai, and Hawaii Island is designed to expose participants to careers and topics in natural resources and grow connections between educators and community organizations.…