Community

General news which affects the Molokai community in one way or another.

Akutagawa Awarded for Nonprofit Service

Friday, August 26th, 2016

Akutagawa Awarded for Nonprofit Service

William Akutagawa, Jr., at right, was one of five Ho`okele award honorees. Photo courtesy of Hawaii Community Foundation.

By Molokai Dispatch Staff

Molokai’s William Akutagawa, Jr. was one of five leaders statewide recognized for their commitment to making Hawaii a better place. The annual Ho`okele awards were given by Hawaii Community Foundation in their centennial year, and also marked the organization’s15th year honoring the state’s nonprofit leaders, according to a press release. The five honorees were awarded $10,000 for professional development and personal renewal.

“…We are honored to recognize these hardworking and inspiring individuals for their years of service in our community,” said Kelvin Taketa, CEO of the Hawaii Community Foundation.…

Air Riflery Takes Aim

Friday, August 26th, 2016

The Air Riflery teams are shooting for a fun and challenging season, according to Coach Chinky Hubbard. The Girls and Boys teams have begun practice, gearing up for a fall season of competition.

The boys side is led by 2014-2015 MIL boys team champion and two time air riflery States qualifier, senior Jershon Kaalekahi, said Hubbard, via email.

“Kaalekahi is also playing football which entails strength, speed and stamina, whereas Air Riflery is meticulous relaxed precision sport,” said Hubbard. Nonetheless, the shooter makes the transition smoothly, and his coach anticipates a competitive season ahead.

Hubbard said the Girls’ team has a combination of both novice and experienced shooters.…

Journey to Africa

Thursday, August 18th, 2016

Journey to Africa

Community Contributed

By Aka`ula Students

Editor’s note: A group of Aka`ula students had the opportunity to travel to Africa over the summer with teachers. Here are some of their stories, reprinted with permission from the school’s newsletter.

Amazing Journey
By Brian Leer, Junior

The amazing journey in Botswana with four classmates and three teachers ended too quickly. It was a trip I will never forget. The first animal I saw was a rhino and I was thinking, “This is so much different than on TV.” I have missed so many once in a lifetime opportunities that I wish I had taken.…

Molokai at the State Paddling Championships

By Catherine Cluett Pactol

Two weeks ago, Molokai hosted the state paddling championships event on Oahu and came home with both strong results and excellent reviews for hosting the event that brings thousands of paddlers from around Hawaii.

For more than 60 years, the Hawaii Canoe Racing Association has held the state paddling championships. The organization, made up of six paddling associations, represents athletes from all islands, carrying on the Hawaiian tradition of outrigger canoe racing. Each year, paddling associations trade off hosting the event, and this year, it was Molokai’s turn. Normally the venue rotates based on which island is hosting, but because Molokai doesn’t have a race location large enough to accommodate the event, it was held at Oahu’s Ke`ehi Lagoon.…

Skate Jam

Skate Jam

Photo by U’i Kalani and Andrew Beerer

County of Maui News Release

Molokai youth got an opportunity to tear it up in the skate park last month during the annual Skate Jam. On Friday, July 15, Maui County Parks and Recreation held the Skate Jam event for the keiki of Molokai. We had an awesome turn-out from our Molokai Summer PALS and Molokai Youth Center. The children rotated to various locations at the Mitchell Pauole Complex, which included skateboarding at the skate park, swimming at the pool, playing dodgeball in the gym, and participating in a cultural story time at the Mitchell Pauole Conference room.…

Jeff Davis Sentenced to 25 Years for 2014 Death

Molokai resident Jeff Davis pleaded no contest to manslaughter and three firearms charges and was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the death of 19-year-old Koshari Waits in 2014. Waits was found by a motorist on an east end driveway on May 20, 2014, killed by a single, small caliber bullet in the back of the head, according to police.

Davis was sentenced at the end of last month, during a court hearing in which the defense and prosecution presented differing positions on how the victim died. Davis and Waits were family friends.

“I know I was responsible for him dying, but I did not kill him,” Davis said in court, as reported by The Maui News.…

Preventing Hepatitis A on Molokai

By Catherine Cluett Pactol

The Hawaii Department of Health (DOH) is investigating an increasing number of Hepatitis A cases on Oahu, and Molokai residents are advised to take preventative action. Hepatitis A is a contagious liver infection caused by the hepatitis A virus that can be found in the stools of infected people and spread by eating contaminated food or drinking water or through close personal or sexual contact.

With more than 150 confirmed cases on Oahu, many of which are restaurant workers, some Molokai residents are wondering what they should do to prevent the disease. Vaccination is the best form of prevention, but frequent handwashing with soap and water after using the bathroom, changing a diaper, or before preparing food can help prevent the spread of hepatitis A, according to the DOH.…

Third Time a Charm for Mo`omomi Cleanup

Third Time a Charm for Mo`omomi Cleanup

Kama Han, center left, and Mac Poepoe work to cut off fishing gear while Kahi Pacarro, center, and young assistants look on during the Mo’omomi beach cleanup. Photo by Leo Azambuja

By Léo Azambuja, Special to The Molokai Dispatch

Molokai residents and volunteers picked up thousands of pounds of trash in the third annual Molokai Cleanup at Mo`omomi Beach Aug. 13. It was a considerable increase in weight collected compared to both previous cleanups at this pristine beach on the island’s northwest coast.

“This year, there was way more (trash),” said Kahi Pacarro, executive director of Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii, the nonprofit organization that put the event together.…

Funding to Enhance Kupuna Care

Friday, August 12th, 2016

Na Pu`uwai News Release

An Ahahu`i grant from the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) awarded to community-based Native Hawaiian health organization Na Pu`uwai will fund a Kupuna and Caregivers Day. This upcoming event will offer interacting and socializing together, networking with friends, participating in activities to improve kupuna functional abilities to enhance self-esteem and to prevent memory loss and forgetfulness. It will also provide resources to inform kupuna and caregivers of signs and symptoms of Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease and how to support those who have these conditions.

Na Pu`uwai was initially formed in 1984 as the advisory board for the Molokai Heart Study.…

Youth in Motion Takes on Channels

Friday, August 12th, 2016

Community Contributed

By Clare Seeger Mawae

During the last week of July there were two major channel paddle events, the Maui Jim Maui 2 Molokai Challenge crossing the Pailolo channel on Saturday, July 23, and the Molokai 2 Oahu Race crossing the Kaiwi Channel on Sunday, July 31. Tropical Storm Darby through a curveball making the Molokai organizers cancel the Maui to Molokai event. However, a few days later Molokai’s young paddler Alex Mawae and his paddling buddies decided they still wanted to cross and bring their boards over in epic Pailolo Channel conditions. So the impromptu photo shoot with local filmmaker Matt Yamashita and Mickey Pauole took place with Alex, age 14, Slater, 13, Kali`a, 15, Lara, 16, Jack, 11 and Dylan, 15 .…