Community

General news which affects the Molokai community in one way or another.

The Adze Quarries of Kaluako‘i

Wednesday, October 18th, 2023

Community Contributed 

By Marshall Weisler, Archaeologist

If there was ever a perfect name for a piece of land, then surely Kaluako‘i is it. The name means “the adze pit” and the 50,000 acres encompassing this leeward region of west Molokai contains more stone adze quarries than the rest of the Hawaiian Islands combined. The rolling hills and slopes fronted by the rocky coastlines are dominated by the nearly 1,400 foot high, 1.7 million years old Maunaloa volcano. 

Why is Kaluako‘i important? Well, imagine life without your mobile phone. Most people would be at a loss without this essential modern “tool.”  Hundreds of years ago, stone adzes were the most common tools in ancient times.…

The New Recruits

Community Contributed 

Father Pat Killilea, St. Francis Church, Kalaupapa

“There is a season for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens,” Ecclesiastes 3.

It was the time for police recruitment in a small town and the story goes that the police sergeant was in the process of interviewing a candidate for a position in the town police department. 

He asked the candidate, “if you had to arrest your wife for reckless speeding, what would you do?” 

The applicant replied, “I would call for backup, Sir.” 

The sergeant followed up with, “what’s your biggest weakness?” 

The applicant replied, “my principal weakness is my problem with reality.…

Molokai Appreciation Letter

To the Molokai Community, 

On behalf of the entire Dept. of Land and Natural Resources, I want to express our extreme appreciation and deep gratitude to the many people who responded to clean Papohaku beach after a boat recently broke apart in near-shore waters in west Molokai. 

Just one week before, we met with dozens of you to listen to your thoughts and concerns for the protection of your island’s natural and cultural resources. The concept of community was so evident during this listening session. You heard from and interacted with DLNR division staff representatives, who live and work on Molokai and whom many of you know personally.…

Request for Veterans Board of Directors

The undersigned are all members of Molokai Veterans Caring for Veterans (MVCV). The purpose of this letter is to request the Board to add two items to the annual meeting scheduled for Dec. 6. 

The first request concerns the proposed change of membership requirements. Currently, to become a member of MVC you must be a veteran of the Armed Forces. The new proposal would expand the membership to include spouses and children. The original membership requirements were approved by the IRS. Although a change of membership requirement is allowed by the IRS, the change would significantly affect the way this organization elects officers and directors.…

Response from Mokulele

A detailed response was provided to Ms. Thomas, with a shortened version printed here. It is unfortunate that road construction delays caused her to miss this important flight.  

Kaiser Travel was incorrect about seat availability on the Molokai to Honolulu route.  At the time of this inquiry, there were multiple seats available every weekday for the rest of the month (except for Oct. 6). We have offered to speak directly with Ms. Thomas’ Kaiser representative to resolve, but thus far have not been provided any contact information.

Missing a flight due to road construction is neither the fault of the airline nor the passenger. We…

Transparency for Molokai Veteran Leadership

Molokai Veterans Caring for Veterans has been a nonprofit 501 (c) 19 veterans organization since 2002. 

For seven years, we have been led by a discreditable tribal group with no transparency and no accountability. 

For example, the unauthorized participation of certain veterans spouses and family members who have long participated in our affairs. 

“Done deal” meetings with agents of our longtime corrupted state agency, DHHL, claiming that “they do not need membership approval.” 

Confusion over the difference between a nonprofit 501 (c) 9 and a nonprofit 501 (c) 19 resulted in our missing $400,000 never being there. 

Today, we are facing serious financial shortfalls, memberships concerns ignored that we have not been complying on either the federal or state level as a veterans nonprofit organization. …

$1,000 Reward for Lost Dog

Harlie walked off of our property, the morning of Aug. 18 and has not been seen by us again. She is an elderly, spayed Siberian husky with an eye disease that causes a film to grow over her eyes. If not treated twice a day, she will go blind. I love my girl dearly. We have been so heartbroken and filled with guilt for losing her after all the preparation and stress of bringing her to Molokai with us. My cousin and I have spent countless hours driving from one end of the island to the other. We’ve put up flyers everywhere.…

Boat Wreck on Papohaku

Wednesday, October 11th, 2023

Boat Wreck on Papohaku

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor 

On Tuesday, Oct. 3, a 50-foot boat ran aground near ‘Ilio Point around 4 a.m. The five-man crew was rescued early in the morning by the Coast Guard and Molokai Fire Department, leaving the damaged boat in the water.  

As of Tuesday, the Coast Guard reported that “the vessel is currently afloat and a hazard to navigation, maritime safety broadcast has been issued to notify mariners in the area,” adding that “there is no visible sheening at this time and the Coast Guard will continue to monitor the vessel.”  

By Wednesday, the boat had drifted down the coast, eventually sucked into shore near the area of Papohaku known as Third Hole. …

New Molokai Crisis Counselors Train to Serve Maui Nui

New Molokai Crisis Counselors Train to Serve Maui Nui

By Jack Kiyonaga, Editor 

“Sometimes we don’t see our own strengths,” said Kanoe Davis, executive director of nonprofit Ho’aka Mana. “We can affect change even from our little island.” 

Davis, along with five other Molokai community members, recently received crisis counselor training to better serve the residents of Maui Nui. 

Following the devastating August fires on Maui, Davis said FEMA reached out to her in the hopes of training more crisis counselors. The goal was to help those who had suffered losses from the fires, but also continue to strengthen the ability of all Maui County residents to face adversity. Davis answered the call, putting together a training session for Molokai residents through Ho’aka Mana. …

Big Strides for Football and Air Riflery

Big Strides for Football and Air Riflery

By Maria Angst, Community Reporter 

On Sept. 30, Molokai Football triumphed over Seabury Hall 40-14 in a comeback victory.   

The game kicked off with Seabury Hall taking an early lead in the first quarter. Elima Dagan sprinted 60 yards for a touchdown, but the extra point attempt failed. Molokai quickly responded, with Christian Nip scoring a 14-yard run, followed by a successful pass from Tonka Kalilikane to Kinohi Kaupu. 

The second quarter was all about Molokai’s relentless offense. Kahakoi Lopez caught a 9-yard pass from Kalilikane, widening their lead. Kalilikane further showcased his skills with two consecutive 4-yard and 2-yard runs, though the extra point attempts fell short. …