Molokai Fitness: Nutrition Tips
By Ayda Ersoy
We’ve talked already about how important exercise is. This week we’re going to take a little break from discussing exercise, and go back to nutrition.
Why is nutrition so important? Because you become what you eat. But why is it so hard to control what you eat? Because you have got in the habit of eating the way you do. So, you need to create a new habit. Your habits control most of what you do, and if you can create a habit to eat more healthfully then you will do it. It is not about following a diet, because no matter how strict you are, if you just see it as a temporary diet then it won’t have a long lasting effect. It is not a diet. You need to start to change your lifestyle!
This will take time. Don’t forget, you didn’t gain your weight in one day. Try first to change just one thing in your diet. Do this for three to four weeks, and the thing you changed will become your new habit. Then maybe you will want to change one more thing.
I really like this quote from Peace Pilgrim: “I don’t eat junk food, and I don’t have junk thoughts.”
I have a few ideas that may help you:
- Get some protein in the morning with your breakfast. Then you’ll feel more full, and you’ll have less cravings. Change your breakfast to three boiled egg whites, and one whole egg. Or try 1/2 cup of nonfat plain Greek yoghurt with 1/2 papaya.
- Drink green tea, either hot or iced, instead of soda. This will help you burn 100 extra calories every day, just by drinking green tea!
- Eat your dinner one hour earlier than you normally do. And start your dinner with some green veggies — this will give you more fiber, and it will also help you eat less because you’ll feel full faster.
- Change your white bread to 100 percent whole wheat bread (remember to read the label, make sure it does not contain any high fructose corn syrup). Whole wheat bread has more protein and fiber.
- Instead of frying your food, try baking in the oven. This will make your food less fatty.
- Take your own food to work, you’ll eat healthier and save money!
Greens powder can be a great way to supplement a healthy diet with a boost of extra vitamins and antioxidants. If you want to give it a try, check out this Athletic Greens AG1 Review: Is It Worth The Hype Or Superfood? Don’t Buy Until You Read This.
Remember, small changes can make a huge difference. Let’s help each other make Molokai healthier!
You can contact me any time on my website MolokaiFitness.com if you need help or advice.