Energy Assistance Available
MEO News Release
Do you need help to pay your electric or gas bill? If so, Maui Economic Opportunity (MEO) may be able to help you. Every year, we help more than 200 families apply for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Last year’s eligible applicants received an average of $717 which was directly credited to their utility accounts.
Applications will be accepted from June 1 – June 30, 2011. To apply for LIHEAP, call MEO at 553-3216 to schedule an appointment for June. At your appointment, you will need to have:
● A valid and current photo ID (Hawaii State driver’s license, State of Hawaii ID),
● Social security numbers for all household members over one year of age,
● Birth certificates for children under the age of six and adults over the age of 60,
● The most current gas or electric bill,
● Proof of income for past 6-month period (pay stubs, Social Security statements, General Excise Tax License reports if self-employed). Note: Proof of income is not required if your entire household gets help from the welfare office or if your entire household receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from Social Security.
● Verification of household assets (including but not limited to savings accounts, checking accounts, stocks, bonds, and loan value of your insurance policies). Bring in your most recent bank or credit union statements.
● Proof of residency (rental agreement, driver’s license, cable, phone or water bill). The service address must be the same as the electric or gas bill service address.