Community

General news which affects the Molokai community in one way or another.

Feds Consider Reestablishing Government-to-Government Relationship

Friday, June 27th, 2014

Dept. of Interior News Release

In response to requests from the Native Hawaiian community, Hawaii’s congressional delegation and state leaders, the U.S. Department of the Interior announced last week a first step to consider reestablishing a government-to-government relationship between the U.S. and the Native Hawaiian community.

The purpose of such a relationship would be to more effectively implement the special political and trust relationship that currently exists between the Federal government and the Native Hawaiian community. Last week’s action, known as an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM), provides for an extensive series of public meetings and consultations in Hawaii and Indian Country to solicit comments that could help determine whether the Department develops a formal, administrative procedure for reestablishing an official government-to-government relationship with the Native Hawaiian community and if so, what that procedure should be.…

Molokai Resident New Crop Assc. President

Friday, June 27th, 2014

HCIA News Release

Recent Molokai resident Kirby Kester is the new president of the Hawaii Crop Improvement Association (HCIA), as well as Dow AgroSciences’ Hawaii R&D Leader.

With nearly 20 years’ experience in the seed industry on Kauai, Kester now resides on Molokai and serves as site Leader for Dow AgroSciences’ R&D Station on Molokai, as well as provides oversight for Kauai’s Seeds and Traits R&D program.

Kirby holds a M.S. of Agriculture degree from Iowa State University and a B.S. in Agronomy from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln.  He has been a member of HCIA since 1995, and will serve a two-year term as president.…

Vote ‘We the People’

Friday, June 27th, 2014

Community Contributed

By Barbara Haliniak

Early in my career at the phone company, I learned that any time one came across a problem, it was standard to identify the problem and offer solutions to the problem.  Based upon this, on May 21 I filed nomination papers for State House District 13 seat, currently occupied by Mele Carroll.

After I filed nomination papers, a bunch of questionnaires from various organizations were sent to me soliciting responses for possible endorsements.  Although, I responded to two organization questionnaires, I did not get their endorsements.  It was OK, I needed to be true to who I am and not some organization’s voice. …

Family Offers $25K Reward in Murder Case

Thursday, June 26th, 2014

Family Offers $25K Reward in Murder Case

The family of Koshari Kahikili Waits, who was found dead on Molokai’s east end last month, is offering a $25,000 reward in hopes of finding answers.

“I am begging as his mother… if anyone has any information that can lead to understanding how he was killed, please come forward,” said Nancy Campbell-Kowardy, via email. “Koshari’s extended family on the mainland is offering this reward hoping that it could encourage anyone afraid to come forward with information to do so.”

Waits, born in Halawa Valley, had been working at Pu`u Hoku Ranch. A few months ago, Campbell-Kowardy said he sent her a video of a hydroelectric project he was working on.…

Molokai Student to Intern with Sen. Hirono

Molokai Student to Intern with Sen. Hirono

Sen. Mazie Hirono News Release

Molokai graduate Michael Kikukawa will intern with Sen. Mazie K. Hirono’s Summer Intern Class this year in Washington, D.C. He is one of seven Hawaii interns selected for Hirono’s Hawaii and D.C. offices.

“It’s a privilege to have bright Hawaii students intern in my office,” said Hirono. “Meeting with students and hearing their stories often reminds me and my staff of the importance of pushing for more opportunities for our young people, including making college more affordable, strengthening our economy, and ensuring everyone has a fair shot at the American Dream. Mahalo to Michael, Madison, Shannon, Alex, Sarah, Caitlin, and Lana for their service to our office and Hawaii.”

Michael Kikukawa was born and raised on Molokai and is a graduate of Molokai High School.…

Molokai Summer Praise Concert

Community Contributed

By Diane Abraham

Music is part of the human experience, from a mother’s lullaby to a newborn, to a heavenly anthem, to a rock concert. We are all touched by music in one way or another, and often in multiple ways, especially here in Hawaii where music is a valued tradition. On July 19, the people of Molokai are going to be treated to a very special outdoor concert, free of charge.

In its fifth year, the Summer Praise Concert is being put on by churches here on island. This concert is at the Kaunakakai ball field from 6 to 10 p.m.…

OHA Trustees Talk Nation Building

A standing-room-only crowd gathered at Kulana Oiwi on Wednesday evening, as Trustees from the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) gathered concerns and highlighted efforts to improve conditions within Hawaiian communities.

During the meeting, the Board of Trustees heard testimony relating to community concerns, beneficiary achievements, Hawaiian Home Lands and issues relating to federal recognition of Native Hawaiians.

Government-to-Government Relationship?

In response to requests from the Native Hawaiian community, the U.S. Department of Interior (DOI) announced last week that it is moving forward on a rule-making process for re-establishing a government-to-government relationship with Native Hawaiians.

“The vision of the OHA is to rebuild and establish a beloved Native Hawaiian nation that is recognized nationally and internationally,” said OHA CEO Kamana`opono Crabbe.…

Molokai Student Named HMSA Distinguished Scholar

Molokai Student Named HMSA Distinguished Scholar

Molokai High School graduate Xrystina Bicoy was selected by HMSA as one of 21 students in the state to receive the company’s Kaimana Scholarship, as well as one of five recipients of their Distinguished Scholarship.

“This is for students who do well academically, as well as show great sportsmanship in athletics and service to their community,” said Molokai High Vice Principal Daniel Espaniola. “We’re very proud of Xristina’s accomplishments.”

The Kaimana program started in 2005 and recognizes all-around accomplishments of high schools, and offers scholarships to individual student athletes, administered by the Hawaii High School Athletic Association.

Bicoy received a $3,000 scholarship, and was one of five named distinguished scholars to receive an additional $2,000 each.…

New Health Director Vows to Serve Kalaupapa

Wednesday, June 25th, 2014

New Health Director Vows to Serve Kalaupapa

For the first time as the state’s new Department of Health (DOH) Director, Dr. Linda Rosen visited the Kalaupapa settlement last week and was warmly welcomed by residents.

“I want to tell you all how delighted I am to be here, what a privilege it is to be the director, especially because of the special role that the director plays for the community of Kalaupapa,” Rosen told patients and employees at a community meeting in the settlement. “I’m very lucky that the governor appointed me. I… thank [Kalaupapa] for welcoming me so graciously. I look forward to helping in any way that I can.”

Rosen was appointed by Gov.…

VA Benefits Workshop

Wednesday, June 25th, 2014

Department of Veterans Affairs News Release

On July 12, 2014 the Department of Veterans Affairs will host a workshop on VA Benefits at Hale Mahaolu Home Pumehana from 9 a.m. to noon. All veterans, family members, widows and community providers are welcome to attend. The workshop will cover VA Benefits, loan guaranty, vocational rehabilitation and employment and death benefits. For more information please contact the VA Honolulu Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000 or email pctc.vbahon@va.gov.…