Community

General news which affects the Molokai community in one way or another.

Volunteers Take to Molokai Farms

Wednesday, October 15th, 2014

Volunteers Take to Molokai Farms

Mike Senese had recently graduated from high school in Massachusetts when he caught the farming bug. With a background mostly in gardening, Senese said he resolved to take a gap year before starting college and began research into different farming programs.

The 19-year-old’s search landed him a job as an educational farm volunteer on Molokai’s Pu`u O Hoku Ranch through the state’s World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms, or popularly known as WWOOF, network.

“I’ve learned so much from being here already, I’m really amazed at how much hard work and labor goes into it all,” Senese said. He’s been working on Molokai for a month and plans to transfer to Maui or Hawaii Island in November.…

Molokai Finishes Strong in Ka`iwi Channel

Molokai Finishes Strong in Ka`iwi Channel

Back row: Titus Castor, Troy Heen, Lohiao Paoa, John Russell Phifer, Kamakou Mariano, Chad Lima. Front row: Kawai Spencer, Bozo Dudoit, Kamoana Spencer. Not pictured, Brandon Kansana. Photo by Catherine Cluett.

Before the 62nd Molokai Hoe, Bozo Dudoit, coach and steersman of Molokai’s Wa`akapaemua Canoe Club open men’s crew, laid out two main objectives for his team.

“My goal is to be in the top ten 10 of the local finishers and top 20 overall,” said Dudoit, a Molokai Hoe veteran who has been competing in paddling’s premier event for 24 years now.

Wa`akapaemua, the host island’s only team in the race, check-marked both goals on Sunday.…

Molokai Crewmembers Join Hokule`a Voyage

Molokai Crewmembers Join Hokule`a Voyage

Three Molokai residents have departed on a journey to follow the path of their ancestors across oceans and change the way the world views our environment. Last week, Mel Paoa, Mahina Hou Ross and Keoki Pescaia left for American Samoa to join Hawaiian double-hulled voyaging canoes Hokule`a and Hikianalia as they set sail for the northwestern tip of Aotearoa (New Zealand).

“The Molokai community fully supports these crewmembers as Hokule`a represents all of us, coming together to protect the places, values, and traditions that we love,” said Paoa, Molokai’s first voyaging captain for Hokule`a.

This week, they are sailing to Vava`u in Tonga, about 320 miles from Pago Pago Harbor in American Samoa, where they waited for favorable weather to depart on the first portion of the trip to Aotearoa.…

Veterans Corner

Thursday, October 9th, 2014

Community Contributed

By Jesse Church

Aloha all my fellow veterans and residents of Molokai, old Jesse here with all the veterans news and upcoming events.

Veterans, as you may or may not be aware, our doctor David Hafermann is retiring at the end of October. We have been very lucky to have him here on Molokai for a good many years, taking care of our aches and pains, and some very serious illness also, whenever we had a problem he has been there for us.

On Monday, Sept. 29, there was a meeting at the vet center with Wayne Pfeffer, the director for the VA Pacific Islands Health Care System, and there was a discussion about a clinic being here on Molokai.…

Molokai Revives Kulaia in Kaunakakai Town

Wednesday, October 8th, 2014

Molokai Revives Kulaia in Kaunakakai Town

Community Contributed

By Lori-Lei Rawlins-Crivello

The Kulaia festival two weeks ago revived a historic tradition of aloha surrounding the annual canoe races during which paddlers and community would gather together. Pictured here, Hawaiian immersion students participated in the celebration that closed Kaunakakai’s main street for the festivities. This coming weekend, the spirit of Kulaia will be carried forward during the Festivals of Aloha events and Sunday’s Molokai Hoe canoe race. Photo courtesy of Lori-Lei Rawlins-Crivello

Historical records dating back to 1865 note Hawaiian outrigger canoe race competitions as one of the many events our kupuna took part in during annual la kulaia, days of festivities honoring the Kingdom of Hawaii and especially honoring our beloved monarchy. …

Waving a Message

Waving a Message

Youth got together to share a message promoting healthy lifestyles last week. A sign waving in conjunction with National Recovery Month helped educate the Molokai community about mental or substance abuse disorders and the treatments available.

Hosted by Alu Like’s Hoala Hou program and the Ho`i Ho`i Leadership Group, the annual sign waving was held this year on Sept. 26. Ho`i Ho`i Leadership Group is comprised of eight middle and high school students who participate in weekly lessons, activities and service projects through Alu Like, according to Jana Sasada, program supervisor.

“Our Ho’i Ho’i Leadership Group plays a big role in organizing, planning and preparing all of our community activities and service projects,” said Sasada.  …

New Coach, Same Goals for Cross Country

Last week, Molokai High Cross Country Coach Mahina Hou Ross departed on board the Hokule`a. Now Molokai’s cross country runners, under the direction of interim coach Manu Adolpho, have dreams of a shorter but meaningful journey of their own: traveling to Oahu for the state cross country championships.

“We have been training hard as a team and putting in the miles needed to get us to where we want,” said senior Luke Kikukawa, who placed seventh overall in the Farmers’ Sept. 20 meet. “…We’re expecting, if not our entire boys’ team, some to qualify for the state meet on Oahu.”

Race statistics back the boys’ hopes, as Molokai has turned in multiple top three finishes in this season’s meets, with Keaoalono Ross and Markis-Grayson Aldridge joining Kikukawa as top 20 finishers.…

Farmers Air Riflery a Force to Fear

Farmers Air Riflery a Force to Fear

Junior Kea`a Davis competes in the standing portion of Molokai’s Oct. 2 match. Davis finished 26th, while the Molokai girls finished fifth and the boys placed first.

Molokai High air riflery coaches Daniel Imakyure and Chinky Hubbard have come to the same conclusion. Both men, with extensive firearms backgrounds, have peered through the sights of their students’ air rifles, taken the 33-foot shot at miniscule paper targets and come away surprised by the experience.

“I tried it out myself,” said Hubbard, the Molokai girls’ coach. “It’s not that easy.”

“It’s actually pretty difficult,” boys’ coach Imakyure admitted.

This season, however, Molokai High School (MHS) student marksmen are making it look deceptively simple.…

Changes to Cesspools and Wastewater Systems

DOH News Release

There are changes to rules about cesspools and wastewater systems taking place, and the Hawaii State Department of Health (DOH) is soliciting public comments and holding meetings around the state, including Molokai.

Proposed changes include prohibiting the installation of new cesspools and requiring connections or upgrades of existing cesspools to septic systems within 180 days after sale of property.

There are roughly 90,000 cesspools statewide in Hawaii, with nearly 50,000 located on Hawaii Island, almost 14,000 on Kauai, more than 12,000 on Maui, more than 11,000 on Oahu, and more than 1,400 on Molokai. The untreated wastewater from cesspools can contaminate ground water, drinking water sources, streams and oceans with disease-causing pathogens, algae-causing nutrients, and other harmful substances.…

East Molokai to Hold Recycling Event

County of Maui Solid Waste Division, Abandoned Vehicles and Metals Section News Release

County of Maui Department of Environmental Services and Molokai Metals Facility will be holding a metals and electronics collection event in east Molokai Thursday, Oct. 16 through Saturday, Oct. 18, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day.  The collection site will be located at 8483 Kamehameha V Highway at Mile Marker 15. Items accepted include scrap metals, appliances, tires, auto batteries, propane tanks and electronics such as computers, monitors, printers, televisions and microwave ovens. No vehicles, non-metal furniture or household hazardous waste will be accepted. Residents will be assisted and directed at the site upon arrival.…